Who can claim?
Not everyone will need to claim Universal Credit. Find out who is eligible...
Presently, only single claimants without any dependents are able to apply for Universal Credit in Wolverhampton. The current conditions for applications from people living in Wolverhampton are that you:
- are single
- are aged between 18 and 60 years and six months
- do not have any dependent children
- have savings/capital below £6,000
- are fit for work (i.e. you do not have 'limited capability for work' under the work capability assessment)
- are a British citizen who has lived in the UK for two years without a continuous absence of four weeks or more during this period
- are not getting Incapacity Benefit, Severe Disablement Allowance, Disability Living Allowance and/or Personal Independence Payment
- are not getting (or awaiting the outcome of a claim for, or an appeal concerning entitlement to) contributory-based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA), income-based JSA, contributory Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), income-related ESA and/or Income Support.
You must also NOT be:
- pregnant or within 15 weeks of having given birth
- expecting to earn more than £338 per month
- in education or training or planning to be in education or training
- homeless or living in supported accommodation where care, supervision or support is provided
- an owner-occupier
- adopting a child within 12 months prior to the date of claiming Universal Credit or adopting a child and the child is expected to be placed within two months of the date a claim has been made for Universal Credit
- a carer for a disabled person
It is the Governments intention to make Universal Credit available to more people living in Wolverhampton from December 2017.
The Key Points
You must have a national insurance number, a bank or building society or credit union account and an email address.
Your claim will not be valid until you’ve met with a 'Work Coach', you will need proof of your income, an email address, a CV and to register on Universal Job Match
When you apply you are expected to meet with a "Work Coach" at your local Job Centre Plus and enter into a 'claimant commitment
' outlining your work requirements and the steps you will be taking to find work.